Well in a nutshell…I hated it! Here’s what happened:
- Fell off my bike at the start line
- Got lost going uphill for two miles
- Spent about a mile walking my bike up the steepest part of the ride
- Fell off AGAIN as a cyclist pulled up too close to me giving me pointers (which I greatly appreciated but my fear of people riding close to me kicked in)
- Freaked out again on the downhill as I hit speeds of 27 MPH
- Called the BF in tears from fear if the down hills which I then had to again get of my bike and walk
There was some good to this though:
- I met some really great people…thanks Team Cyclone and Team Cypress Church. You all were so awesome and supportive
- Felt awesome once I got off my bike compared to others who were beat; I’ll have to trek 13.1 miles after my 56 mile bike ride for Vineman so this made me feel good!
- I made it all 61 miles and three days later, no soreness!
- Realized I STILL fear group riding and made a commitment to keep going out and tonight I did! 22 miles with a local bike shop team…I think I’m starting to get the hang of it!
Lesson learned here…keep striving, don’t give up, and remember, we all have to start our sport somewhere. To those of you out there fearing your first marathon, triathlon, whatever…get out there and do it because like the old saying goes, you won’t know if you try!