Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Back With Team in Training

I've been asked to come back as a fundraising captain for the Long Beach marathon team to help participants reach their fundraising goal. I could not be more happy excited to for this opportunity because it gives me a chance to give back to an organization that literally changed my life. Because of Team in Training, I am now the girl who LOVES running half marathons! I am the girl who no longer reaches for a cigarette after work and reaches for her gym bag instead. I am the girl who is out to help beat cancer. Today, I am part of something bigger and greater than myself and I have TNT to thank for that.

With the start of each season, TNT has a kick off event where all the LA chapter teams come together and meet their new teammates. It's a chance for the participants to meet their coaches and leadership. Our season kick off event was last weekend. It was great to meet our new team for the season and also see some familiar TNT faces.

A huge surpirse for me was meeting Virgina! In my Disneyland Half recap (first half marathon with TNT), I saw her sign at mile 7, "THANK YOU TNT, LEUKEMIA SURVIVOR." I went up to her, shared my story and gave her a HUGE hug. She told me that it was the Leukemia and Lymphona Society that funded a research study she was involved in several years ago. That study helped produced what we now know today as Gleevec, which ultimately saved her life and why she is here today. Thank you Virgina for sharing your story. It is people like you that continue to insprire me to help beat cancer!

I've taken that inspiration and am sincerely considering joining the OC Tri Team (because it's closer to work) to train for Vineman. We'll see...till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment